Wednesday, September 21, 2005

What is Punk Rock?


I didn't really start to appreciate punk rock until I was in my late 20's. One of my favorite bands of all times that is classified as punk rock is the Minutemen. My enthusiasm increased ten fold after watching "We Jam Econo" I love the fact that these three didn't even know how to tune their instruments when they first started. Although, they were part of the punk rock scene in L.A. and were on SST records they definitely didn't sound like a typical "punk rock" band which prompted many punks to spit on them during their performances. Their last tour was opening for R.E.M. and I bet they would have probably blown up after that, but unfortunately, D. Boon, the lead singer was tragically killed in a car accident. It's a bit fitting that I'm starting of my blog with a band who's influences included jazz, funk, rock, pop and of course punk. First is a cover of a CCR tune that was obviously recorded live and even though it isn't their song it shows the political convictions the band had. Embarrassingly I've never even heard the original version. The second tune is "Little Man with a Gun in his Hand." which really shows the power they could pull off as a trio. Both of these tunes come from Double Nickels on the Dime which is an amazing double album with over 40 songs.

Don't Look Now by The Minutemen from Double Nickels on the Dime

Little Man with a Gun in his Hand by The Minutemen from Double Nickels on the Dime


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yesyesyes, I love the MinuteMen and espc. Double Nickles on the Dime. If you get a chance check fIREHOSE, Mike Watt George Hurley and Eddie from Ohio (replacing Boon on guitar). Not as punk, but still ripe with vast musical influence.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home