Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Vernon Garrett



I didn't know anything about Vernon Garrett when I picked up this 45 at the swap meet a few months ago. All I saw was the title "We People of the Ghetto" and decided it was worth the dollar to give it a listen. Luckily, that dollar blessed me with a nice pice of gritty funk. This is basically what I'm hoping to pick up everytime I buy an unkown piece of wax. How did they make the drums sound so crisp? And that drum beat would basically be a punk beat if it wasn't on the one (correct me if I'm wrong; I could use the comments). And, then there's that fuzz bass that comes through during the chorus which clearly shows us "..people of the ghetto have got feelin." Unlike so many funk 45s out there this one has got a flip that is just as good, maybe better than the A side. "You Blew My Mind" opens up with those drums again followed by the horns before the whole song lays right into the groove with nice little accents thrown in there on the highhat and snare. I love the way the drummer kind of gets loose during the sax solo. Apparantly, Vernon has an entire LP of this stuff out there, but I'm sure it's pretty hard to find. His 45s can't be too hard to come by because I came across another one of his singles the next week while visiting a friend in Sacramento. So, if y'all are good boys and girls and leave some comments I'll post up some more work from Vernon.


We People in the Ghetto
by Vernon Garrett on Kapp Records

You Blew My Mind
by Vernon Garrett on Kapp Records

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful slices of funk. If you have more to share I would be grateful for you to blow my mind.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

greetings from england..................yeah man .. great share.. good spot on the sax solo and the drums going all loose. more of the same please.... kep up the good work

4:11 AM  
Blogger bob said...

Great music! I've never heard of Vernon Garrett before - thanks for introducing me to him

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Means you will be soon be aquainted with If I could Turn Back The Hands Of Time(Kent /Modern). A favourite in this homestead for many a year.

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from Stockholm. WICKED 45!!!!, I love this record. I would like to here more Vernon if you got any, and big up to a great blog. If you people know more blogs like this, link dem and I will take a look.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tune.......

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

K-Mac,

My name is Edward (then I was known as Wud). I was the 16 year old drummer on the two cuts you wrote about (We People in the Ghetto and You Blew My Mind). Appreciate your appreciation of the beats.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Edward (Wud) Hawthorne' said...

I thought I'd share a bit more about the band that recorded these records with Vernon Garrett.  The band was the Soul Messengers and the members were, Carl Green (Tenor Saxophone), Thomas Marshall (Tenor Saxophone), Gerald Lawrence (Trombone), Willie Marshall (Guitar), Robin Duhe (Bass), and Edward (Wud) Hawthorne (Drums)

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home