Sunday, April 30, 2006

Byron Lee and the Dragonaires


I have no idea why I'm posting more reggae. I feel like I lost all reggae credibility when I posted Wayne Jarrett's version of Billie Jean. No one liked it. I'm always complaining about not receiving comments. No problems with that post. Three people found the time to tell me the song basically sucked. Well, here we go again. This time I've got three songs from Byron Lee and the Dragonaires' album "Reggay Fever". Byron Lee has been recording music for a long time and still continues to release albums, but they are mostly Soca. I haven't heard any of his new stuff, but I've read that it sucks. But, hey, maybe I'll like it, right? Byron Lee started off playing ska and I remember reading in Lloyd Bradley's This is Reggae Music that Byron Lee actually traveled to the US for some sort of World's Fair type thing. At the time, reggae and ska were only really being listened to in JA, so Byron Lee was chosen to kind of expose the world to reggae. It didn't go well, and many people felt the failure was due to the fact that most of the musicians on the tour were white and that Byron Lee was disconnected from the real reggae that was going down in places like Trenchtown. Byron, I belive is part Black, Chinese and White. And, he often gigged for rich white folks at resorts which wouldn't even allow dreads inside. Well, read the book if any of that sounds interesting to you. Besides, I may have messed up those stories too, because my memory ain't so great sometimes. Now, about the music. I've got two covers. First, is a cover of Wing's "Live and Let Die". Second is the b-boy classic "Apache" which unfortunately does not include breaks. Thirdly, I'm including a track called "Mojo Reggae" which is kind of a fast paced rock steady instrumental. I don't believe this album has been reissued, but Turntable Lab currently has sealed original copies of Byron Lee and the Dragonaires' "Reggae Splashdown" which includes some nice covers of "Express Yourself" and George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" which was recently featured at Soul Sides
Live and Let Die by Byron Lee and the Dragonaires from Reggay Fever
Apache by Byron Lee and the Dragonaires from Reggay Fever
Mojo Reggae by Byron Lee and the Dragonaires from Reggay Fever

6 Comments:

Blogger b2v said...

nice !
byron is a master and I have never seen this Lp (dynamic
is one of my favourite reggae label)

keep up the good vibe alive !!

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always thought Lee got short shrift. His music wasn't the ebst, but it was good (especially "Jamaica Ska) and he really did care about the music and making it heard.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don´t feel bad about your postings man...some people like covers (like me)...but maybe we´re more silent than them. and it´s your blog after all.

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what happened dude? No more postings? Byron Lee started Jamaica Carnival and brought it to the masses so just for that his respect is high. Hopevereything is alright with you.

Later

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i bloody did!
how do i get that billie jean track?

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

easy...

i know this post is waaaay old... but any chance someone could help me out with the byron lee version of apache? like a re-up or something?

thanks!

6:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home