Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Bar-Kays



Hello imaginary people! I'm going to talk about the Bar-Kays. They are bad ass. First, they were the back up band for Otis Redding in addition to being the house band for the Stax music label. Yeah, I know Booker T. and the MGs basically did the same thing and are also bad ass, but that's for some future post. Well, all but two of the Bar-Kays were killed in the same plane crash that killed Otis Redding. So instead of giving up on everything after their bandmates all perished in a plane crash, guess what the surviving members did? They kept the band going with new members and continued as the house band for Stax playing on albums like Isaac Hayes's "Hot Buttered Soul". When I first started collecting records I became convinced that I had found the funkiest music ever after picking up the Bar-Kays' "Black Rock". Check out the wah wah guitar madness of "Six O'clock News Report" and the psyche funk of their cover of Sly Stone's "Dance to the Music".

Six O'clock News Report by The Bar-Kays from Black Rock
Dance to the Music by The Bar-Kays from Black Rock


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the best lines in "Spies like us"

(Deep in the wilderness of Russia, sweet soul music penetrates the air.)

Austin: "It's 'Soulfinger' by the Bar-Kays."
Emmett: "They must be having trouble getting gigs."

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a HUGE BAR-KAYS Fan. Could you please burn me a copy of the album onto CD? email me
masterplan30071@yahoo.com

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home