Thursday, July 19, 2007

Edu Lobo Camaleao


Wow, I'm surprised no one commented on the Sly Stone concert review. Oh well, what can you do? I guess I'll just post some Brazilian music I found the other day. It's not often that I come upon records made in Brazil while I'm out "digging". Man, I feel like a dork when I say "digging". Well, I came across this Edu Lobo record a while back and I've been wanting to post it for a while, but just haven't had the chance. It's from 1978 so it's a little smoothed out in that CTI type of way. Regardless, this is a very sweet record. I don't know too much about Edu, besides the fact that he only has one record that was made in the U.S. and was produced by none other than Sergio Mendes. Dusty Groove seems to associate the term "Baroque Bossa Nova" with him. I don't know if this is "baroque". I do wish my record had come with some liner notes because I'm interested in who was playing in his band at the time. Otherwise check out the three tracks I'm sharing with you today. "Memories" opens up with a great little break. Camaleao is a flute led jazz instrumental with some great bongo work. Finally, I included a track called "Sanha Na Mandinga" which is about moving to San Francisco and I believe sounds the most "Brazilian" out of the three. I hope you enjoy them.

Memorias by Edu Lobo from Camaleao
Camaleao by Edu Lobo from Camaleao
Sanha Na Mandinga by Edu Lobo from Camaleao

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

im diggin what you have here-
starra

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....First visit to your site, as a result of Googling Edu Lobo-- I just bought two of his earliest albums, Edu e Bethania ('66) and Cantiga de Longe ('70), both as reissued, in great sound, on the Brazilian Elenco label.

Man, what a singer. Your comment about the work you've posted as "smoothed out" is astute. Back in the day, there was a raw, innocent quality to his singing and arranging, a fantastically evocative eroticism-- and innocence, too, somehow. I can't recommend his early stuff highly enough.

Of course, he's always been an amazing songwriter. Thanks again for the music and thoughtful words.

12:12 PM  
Blogger cosmo said...

never even heard of this guy.. great post, thanks!

COSMO

check me out

http://my.opera.com/vandalay_industrys/blog/

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this record for years...It's not on CD and I haven't gotten it on vinyl.

Dude, I will pay for a CD of this entire "Camaleao", I really need a complete version of "Coracao Noturno" for transcription.

Thanks

dzm@damienmasterson.com

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home