Friday, September 21, 2007

Novelty Rap Records


The other day, while at the swap meet, I came across a bunch of novelty rap records. I'm not sure if "novelty rap" is the best term, but that's what I'm going to use to describe these records that took 80's pop culture and put it to a beat. As a kid growing up in the 80's, I totally remember the catch phrases for most of these records, but I'm not sure which came first, the music or the phrase.

First up, I'm sharing some Miami bass with Gigolo Tony's "Smurf Rock." I'm not sure which came first, the Beastie Boy's line "I got to the party and did the Smurf," or "Smurf Rock." Is there a song about how to do the smurf? I was kind of hoping that's what this was going to be when I picked it up? The amazing thing is how much ground this track covers. He goes from Old MacDonald, to the Smurfs, to Debbie Deb, then to Fat Albert. And what's up with that line about hitting a girl in the head with a rotten banana? I won't even mention the cowbell.

Secondly, I'm sharing Spyder D's "Buckwheat's Rap". I'm including both the X-rated version and the radio version. Clearly, Spyder-D was influenced by Eddie Murphy's Buckwheat character on SNL. Notice the references to Michael Jackson's hair catching on fire and Pee Wee Herman who'll I'll be dedicating my next post to. Personally, I like the X-rated version better although I could do without the "fag" comment. It's shorter and I get a kick out of Buckwheat cussing.

Smurf Rock by Gigolo Tony
Buckwheat's Beat (X-Rated Version) by Spyder-D
Buckwheat's Beat (Radio) by Spyder-D

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't hear it just goes to a place to sell records...

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey K-Mac,

Is the x-rated Spyder D Buckwheat's Beat song the one that goes "my name is buck but you can call me wheat. F#ck you people whose hair is neat...."?

Been looking for 20 years for that song. Please confirm and I'll check back.
Thanks.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home