Thursday, October 20, 2005

WattStax



In 1972 the Bar-Kays released "Do You See What I See?" and performed at the WattStax music festival in the L.A. Coliseum. There was a movie and album released documenting the concert. If you have never seen it you must. It is simply amazing. Isaac Hayes, The Staple Singers, Eddie Floyd, Albert King, Carla Thomas, Rufus Thomas, Rev. Jesse Jackson, and Richard Pryor were all a part of it. The film is remarkable not only for the music, but for the interviews of the people living in Watts and their insight about their own neighborhood.

The Bar-Kays performed three songs at the festival. My favorite part of "Son of Shaft" besides the wah wah guitar workout is the dialogue before they begin their set. You can hear the band talking to the sound guys, plus the intro to the song is priceless. Most of it has been sampled like crazy so it should sound familiar.

"Do You See What I See" is simply a beautiful example of political funk from 1972. Enjoy.

Son of Shaft by The Bar-Kays from WattStax
Do You See What I See? by The Bar-Kays from Do You See What I See?


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

could u please burn me a copy of both BAR-KAYS albums "Do you see what I see" and "Black Rock"? email me masterplan30071@yahoo.com
Thank you

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home