Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Peruvian Disco


Sorry for taking a whole month off. It's not like I've got a job, or am busy or anything. I picked up this record by Santiago Silva y Hnos. at the Goodwill two weeks ago. How could I have passed on a record with a huge Arp sythesizer on it? When I put the needle on the record I was pretty surprised. In fact, I actually stopped the turntable and double checked that I had the record that went with the cover.

The first song I'm sharing with you is actually a medley of three American disco songs: Kool and the Gang's "Celebration", The Reddings' "Remote Control", and "The Sound of the City" from the Village People's film "Thank God It's Friday." I can't get enough of that old school electronic drum sound. Clearly they couldn't either.

The second song I'm sharing is called "Margarita" and I can't get enough this either. I've forced everyone who's walked into my apartment to listen to this song at full volume. That nasty synth line and those disco drums are mind blowing to me. With at least five completely different parts to the song it kind of reminds me of the best of Bollywood. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
Disco Medley by Santiago Silva y Hnos. from ...la cosa es con Santiago
Margarita by Santiago Silva y Hnos. from ...la cosa es con Santiago

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Grandpamini said...

yo , i love your blog , big up !!
i make a radio show on my blog with often your tracks,,

thanks for all your posts

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Thanks for sharing all these gems that would be otherwise unavailable for people like me living on the other side of the world.

I'm dropping you a comment because I couldn't find your email address and I'd like to ask if you could please re-upload "cumbia de los pajaritos" from the "back from Mexico" post? I thought it was a problem from firefox but I already downloaded the song 3 times and it keeps cutting off at 45 seconds, so I'm thinking is rather a file problem. I'd love to hear it complete, has such a warm psychedelic sounbd to it. As a second request I'd love if you'd share more of those fantastic cumbias in your collection with us.

Thanks!

1:06 PM  
Blogger K-mac said...

Thanks for the feedback. Cumbia de los Pajaritos should be fixed. Will be glad to post some more cumbia tunes soon.

9:44 PM  
Blogger lil m said...

It's been a half hour and some seconds since I stumbled here and I'm rapidly losing track of time, big time...

Guess It's cuz Continental Drift has set in & I be "Lovin' This Website" dammit...

great posts, quality encodes, killer cover art already embedded into my iTunes...

Does it get any better than this?

put me on yer email list and i'll come buy ya a drink the next DJ set ya whip up around town I can get too...

thanx

LilMikeSF - @ - Gmail.com

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing this!

8:07 AM  
Blogger HJW said...

Hi,

Can you please re-upload these tracks? Thanks!

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home