Saturday, February 25, 2006

Apna Desh



Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Spent last week in Rome. Unfortunately I didn't find any Italian library records and I don't have any Italian music to post. So, that means more Bollywood. I'm ending my little Bollywood thread with an entire album by R.D. Burman. This record was in that very first stash of Bollywood records I picked up in Berkeley. Apparantly this one is pretty well known and seems to sell for fair prices alhtough my copy has a hole that's too big so I won't be doing any skratching with it. It's not necessarily funky, but has got some great freaky/mod moments especially on "Rona Kabhi Nahin" and "Aaja O Mere Raja". I'm also going to include a few tracks from the Bollywood remix project "Bombay the Hardway" that started me on this whole kick. And, you should also check out this clip from a Bollywood film that I found on WFMU's Beware of the Blog

1.Kajra Laga Ke
2.Lelo Lelo Babu Peelo Narial Pani
3.Suno Champa
4.Rona Kabhi Nahin
5.Aaja O Mere Raja
6.Duniya Men



Satchidananda by Kalyanji, Anandji from Bombay the Hard Way
Theme from Don by Kalyanji, Anandji from Bombay the Hard Way

8 Comments:

Blogger Yohan said...

I see you're really into this filmi music. Have you tried Tamil film music? You should listen to A.R Rahman's music, from films like Thiruda Thiruda, Roja, Kaadalan, and Gentleman.

Funky beats, great tunes.

12:42 PM  
Blogger K-mac said...

Cool! Thanks for the recs.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude... R.D. Burman is like a God among underground vinyl collectors. The Only problem is he sells for not-so-cheap in the US whereas vinyls in pristine condition in India cost around 5-10 bucks each. I've gotten around 200 of his 292 albums that way.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try out Shalimar, Hum Naujawan, Disco Dancer, Kasam Paida karnewale Ki, Tarzan, Danca dance, Don, Armaan for starters... then move on to hardcore R.D. Burman stuffz.

I'll visit your blog later and if you are, I might be able to hook you up with some stuff if still interested.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much respect for the tremendous tunes - but see if you can find the DVD, which has some killer song-and-dance moments.

Err, if I can advance a request... I'd love to hear again the soundtrack to "Jewel Thief", which I think is another one by RD Burman?

6:22 AM  
Blogger K-mac said...

Jim,

Thanks for the comment. It's funny that you mention the DVD. I've actually got the DVD for Apna Desh. The dance scene for Aaja O Mere Raja is pretty mind blowing.

Re: Jewel Thief, I would love to post it, but I don't have it. In fact, I've basically exhausted all of my good Bollywood records on these couple of posts.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi! i recently discovered the world of bollywood soundtracks, and looking for "apna desh" on the net, found yor blog, really nice....

but i can't find any link on this page, it seems.....is it me?

all the best

2:38 AM  
Blogger Stella_1 said...

Hey, nice blog. If you want some more Bollywood, just checkout my blog, Parties Sarees and Melodies (http://partiessareesandmelodies.blogspot.com/). I suggest you checkout Namak Halaal , I'm shure you would like that one. Thanks

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home