Friday, March 31, 2006

Yusef Lateef's Detroit


Pick up every Yusef Lateef record you can find. And, as long as I'm giving you orders, leave some comments! Man, since I stopped posting Bollywood, this place has become a ghost town. Well, I've got two tracks from Yusef Lateef's Detroit for you. First is a track called "Bishop School." It's the opening track of the album and comes out punching! Just listen to that rhythm section! Obviously you can't go wrong when you've got such heavy hitters as Ray Baretto on conga, "Tootie" Heath on percussion, AND Bernard Purdie on drums! Then, you've got Yusef going off on the scat vocals towards the end.

The second track is called "Eastern Market" and once again has a powerful rhythm punctuated by Pretty Purdie's licks. Yusef lays down some beautiful flute on top of it all before he starts spreading the word of the produce for sale at the market. Embarrassingly, I first heard this song on MF Doom's "Who You Think I Am?" which I've also included. But, it wasn't like I went out searching for Doom's sample for the track. It was one of those pleasant surprises when you put on an old jazz record and realize, "Hey, that's where that came from..." Oh, and leave some comments.


Bishop School by Yusef Lateef from Yusef Lateef's Detroit
Eastern Market by Yusef Lateef from Yusef Lateef's Detroit
Who You Think I Am? by MF Doom from Doomsday

6 Comments:

Blogger boog-a-licious said...

"Like It Is" is the joint off of his Blue album...ouch, fire!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Yusef is amazing, Eastern Sounds is an amazing album, i'm very interested to hear these tracks, will let you know what i think

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most odd. Eastern Sounds is one of my favourite albums (defined as one of the albums I take with me whenever I move apartments, which is often). And I was looking at the CD reissue of this album on Friday, wondering whether to buy it. Now I think I will. Twelve by twelve, I thank you, and Yusef thanks you.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! I'm digging the jazz (yazz) flute. Thanks for turning me on the goodness. It's funny, I find jazz records tend to work well in a judge-the-book-by-its-name/cover manner (especially in the 60's/70's). This record looks badass, and, sounds badass. Excellent again K-Mac.

6:40 AM  
Blogger m.t.n. said...

Thanks for the opportunity to listen top more Yusef...Years ago picked up Live At Peps, vol. 1< and loved it.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Jerry Brabenec said...

Hi, thanks for the cool tunes. I was looking up Young-Holt Unlimited and somehow I found your stuff so I'm on kind of a Chicago - Detroit kick today.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home