Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Billie Jean in a Rasta Style


I really like this record. Reggae Disco Twelves are just beautiful. Check out that jacket! Now, the first time I heard a reggae version of Billie Jean was from Shinehead. Great track, but so slow people look funny when they dance to it. Then, last summer, while visiting friends in Santa Barbara I popped into a record store I had scoped out in the yellow pages. After browsing a little bit and not finding anything of interest I headed out the door, but was stopped when I noticed a stack of reggae records on the floor. I stooped down, flipped through a couple of Third World records, and was stopped by the bright green of this jacket. I read "Dist. By: Randy's Records", "Billy Jean", "M. Jackson", and "Wayne Jarrett" and decided right there I was leaving with the record. Until picking up this record I had no idea there was another reggae version of "Billie Jean" besides Shinehead's. There may be hundreds, I don't know. Truth is, this version doesn't make people trip over themselves when they dance to it because it's too slow. So take a listen to both sides and don't ignore the B side which brings us the instrumental version called "Summer Jeans" since they throw in a little lick from the "Porgy and Bess's" "Summertime".

Billie Jean by Wayne Jarrett from 12"

Summer Jeans by I Life Band from 12"

5 Comments:

Blogger Pritam Singh Khalsa said...

Sounded weak. It would be better as just a DUB

2:09 PM  
Blogger K-mac said...

Thanks for the comment. So, what do you think makes it sound "weak"? I don't understand how a dub would make it better? Is it the vocals you're not feeling? Speak up my man if you're going to say something negative!

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shinehead's version was much better, you just gotta learn to dance. Thanx for the trax tho. Holla!

11:41 AM  
Blogger K-mac said...

Are you guys kidding me? Maybe I like it because it's not that well known. What's that Shinehead track @? It's like 70 BPM? Sheesh!

8:09 PM  
Blogger rootsrock said...

i reaaaally reaaally want this track, how do i listen to it?
PLEASE get back to me

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home