Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Herb Albert meets Public Enemy


Mash ups or blends or whatever you want to call them haven't disappeared yet. They are definitely still with us. I don't mind them. In fact I'm a sucka for things like Rapture Riders. Before Dangermouse and his Grey album, I heard the following track on college radio over five years ago. I was blown away by it. Public Enemy's "By the Time I Get to Arizona" over Herb Albert's "Whipped Cream". It was basically the first time I heard a mash up. The group, Evolution Control Committee are responsible for this. I believe they have some loose affiliation with the group Negativeland who became semifamous when they were sued by U2 for naming an album U2 and sampling heavily from them. Well, Evolution Control Committee have had their run ins with the law also, their motto is "Copyright Violation for the Nation." So check out their website here and don't forget to check out the sounds section where you'll find some great stuff including "Rocked by Rape" and a reinterpretation of the song "Axel F" only using samples of Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" called "Fock it".

By the Time I Get to Arizona (Whipped Cream Mix) by Public Enemy Remixed by Evolution Control Committee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home